A 50 year old medical doctor is the first person to succumb to the H1N1 virus at the University of the West Indies Hospital. Swine flu illness now on high alert listA 50 year old medical doctor is the first person to succumb to the H1N1 virus, also known as the Swine Flu.Suzanna Roye died at the University Hospital of the West Indies, after being transferred from a hospital in the central parish of Manchester. The report adds that another female doctor is in the intensive care unit at the University Hospital, however, she is responding to treatment.Last week, the Ministry of Health upgraded Swine Flue to a category one illness – meaning that within 24 hours of suspecting a case of severe acute respirator illness, medical practitioners must report it to the health authority.So far, nine cases of swine flu have been confirmed in the island – the cases originated from the Corporate Area as well as central and western Jamaica.Meanwhile the main opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) has called on health minister Horace Dalley to provide Jamaicans with an update on the H1N1 virus.“The Jamaica Labour Party is calling on the Minister of Health to tell the country what is happening with the H1N1. What steps are being taken to protect health workers. …We want to know when the first case was reported, when the first case was diagnosed,” said the JLP’s spokesperson on Health, Marlene Malahoo Forte.Acting chief medical officer, Dr Winston De La Haye stated that Jamaicans should remain on the lookout when it comes to mosquitoes as there are now 23 confirmed cases of the mosquito-borne disease dengue fever in Jamaica.Dengue fever is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which is also responsible for the transmission of chikungunya and Zika. Dr De La Haye said the same preventative measures, such as getting rid of mosquito-breeding sites, should continue in order to mitigate the risk of contracting the mosquito -borne diseases.Read more: Guyanese swine flu victim dies in US hospital
See also:Defeat crushes Fulham’s hopes of automatic promotionFulham won’t give up but face ‘big ask’ – Parker Fulham will be without top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic for their next three matches.The striker has been suspended for elbowing Leeds defender Ben White during Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Elland Road. The incident happened three minutes into the match and was not seen by referee Tony Harrington.AdChoices广告Mitrovic has been punished retrospectively after accepting a charge of violent conduct by the Football Association.It means he will miss Tuesday’s west London derby at QPR as well as Fulham’s games against Birmingham and Nottingham Forest.Mitrovic is the joint top scorer in the Championship this season, with 23 goals.Fulham have lost both of their matches since the campaign resumed and are seven points adrift of second-placed West Brom.[scriptless] Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
“We’ve taken something in this pass interference rule and we’ve adopted a second standard,” Pereira told McAfee. “You have one standard, and that’s the way the officials look at it in real time, and you have a second standard, which is how replay looks at it. And they say, ‘Well, yeah, it’s pass interference, but it doesn’t rise to the level of what we’re looking for in replay.’ So this stretch of subjectivity has pretty much every coach flummoxed.”MORE: Join DAZN to watch The Pat McAfee Show and more this fallPereira noted the NFL, in its replay review of pass interference, is looking for egregious fouls that resemble the interference officials missed in last season’s NFC championship game, a blunder that sent the wrong team to the Super Bowl and prompted change in the rule book. Which, of course, is an absurd standard.This is exactly the concern Dan Quinn raised in March, when Sporting News asked the Falcons coach whether reviewing PI was a good or bad idea.”Let’s make sure we all know the standard of what that is,” Quinn told SN. “So, think back to last year; we really nailed down what a catch is. And so I would anticipate that if we’re going to have something that’s reviewable, it better be clear to everybody who’s watching — if you’re at home or at the bar. ‘OK, that’s pass interference.’ And then we can challenge what that would be.”Let’s make sure the standard of what OPI or DPI is, if we go down that road, let’s make sure that everybody’s working from the same standard.”To Pereira’s point, NFL vice president of officiating Al Riveron in New York is not “working from the same standard” as the officials on the field.MORE: Lions-Packers fiasco illustrates NFL’s officiating issue To Pereira, though, the solution is simple. The NFL competition committee is holding its annual fall meeting in Florida this week. There, Pereira says, the committee should consider pushing its officiating department back to a singular standard.”To me it’s just a question of not if, but when they change it,” Pereira told McAfee. “You get rid of this clear and obvious and egregious, and you look at it in replay just as you would look at it as an official. It either is, or it isn’t. Every coach would understand that.”Pereira on Wednesday also brought up some interesting points on the state of NFL officiating as a whole. Those can be heard in the clip below.FOX rules analyst and former NFL VP of Officiating @MikePereira has a few suggestions on how to fix the referee issue.#ThePatMcAfeeShowLIVE on @DAZN_USA pic.twitter.com/W4Ha9Zmblv— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) October 16, 2019 When the NFL added a subjective call like pass interference to its replay review system in the spring, unintended consequences were predictable. Mike Pereira, who now serves as NFL rules analyst for Fox Sports after 14 years of pro football officiating, believes one repercussion in particular is a “real problem.”Pereira appeared Wednesday on The Pat McAfee Show, a daily (10 a.m.-noon ET) program on DAZN, and diagnosed the source of the issue that has catalyzed a weekly crescendo of officiating-related complaints from the NFL’s players, coaches and observers in 2019.