A CHP spokeswoman said the length of time was “not atypical” for such cases. That’s the time it takes to conduct a “completely independent” investigation. “Once the investigators conclude their report, there are various stages of review it goes through,” said spokeswoman Janet Huston. “It goes through (the) protective services (division), headquarters, legal.” Plus, she said, things wrapped up around the holiday season. The release of a taped conversation between Schwarzenegger and his senior staffers during a speech-writing session created a brief furor in an otherwise ho-hum governor’s race when the Los Angeles Times first reported it Sept. 8. The candid chat captured an unguarded Schwarzenegger speculating about the “hot” temperament of an Assemblywoman Bonnie Garcia, perhaps due to the mixture of “black blood” and “Latino blood.” He also referred to Assembly Republicans as a “wild bunch.” Schwarzenegger apologized for the comments. The Angelides campaign later acknowledged that its staffers had used “backward browsing” to download the audio file, accidentally placed on a Web site of the governor’s speeches. SACRAMENTO – After a nearly five-month probe, state investigators have concluded aides to Democratic gubernatorial candidate Phil Angelides broke no laws when they downloaded audio files containing the private musings of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on race and politics. In a 38-page redacted report, the California Highway Patrol “recommends that no charges be filed in this case” and advises Schwarzenegger administration staffers to tighten up the “overall security of their computer network.” Within four days of the taped comments coming to light, the Attorney General’s office advised the CHP that no crime had been committed. The highway patrol itself made that determination two months ago, but only made it public Friday. The CHP is a branch of the governor’s administration, responsible for protecting state property. Essentially, aides opened the Web address, or URL, from one of Schwarzenegger’s speeches and lopped a few characters from the end of the address. That yielded a directory of audio recordings. Schwarzenegger’s aides referred the matter to the CHP on Sept. 8, before the Angelides camp’s involvement was known. Later, the governor’s staffers accused the Angelides aides of illegally hacking into a password-protected area of the governor’s computer system for political gain. [email protected] (916) 441-4602 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting The inventor of the World Wide Web is now blogging:“In 1989 one of the main objectives of the WWW was to be a space for sharing information. It seemed evident that it should be a space in which anyone could be creative, to which anyone could contribute. The first browser was actually a browser/editor, which allowed one to edit any page, and save it back to the web if one had access rights. […] Now in 2005, we have blogs and wikis, and the fact that they are so popular makes me feel I wasn’t crazy to think people needed a creative space.”Needless to say, Tim Berners-Lee has been a huge influence on me. I pretty much named my blog after him. As I wrote in my very first blog entry on April 20, 2003:“The World Wide Web in 2003 is beginning to fulfil the hopes that Tim Berners-Lee had for it over 10 years ago when he created it. The web was never just supposed to be a one-way publishing system, but the first decade of the web has been dominated by a tool which has been read-only – the web browser. The goal now is to convert the web into a two-way system. Ordinary people should be able to write to the web, just as easily as they can browse and read it.”Welcome to the blogosphere, good sir. We wouldn’t be here without your work. Oh and of course: subscribed! 😉 A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#web#Web 2.0 Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… richard macmanus Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
It makes sense that businesses which run efficiently have the best shot at success. 90 percent of companies agree with that, based on a survey by Iron Mountain Incorporated. Those companies said that being efficient is a mission-critical requirement for their success. They also agreed that a major step in achieving efficiency is to be able to have sound and well-managed core business processes, processes like contracts management, accounts payable and order fulfillment.The problem is, when companies are asked to grade their core business processes, 93 percent said that they aren’t satisfied with the way that their core business processes are being run. Those companies would like to improve their core processes, and many companies have programs in place to make improvements in their processes, but what’s missing is any sense of urgency. And that lack of urgency has translated into a slow implementation of any improvements. Typically the motivator for change needs to be some event like an audit or law suit.The report found that 65 percent of companies have no formal records or information program in place. And for those companies that have adopted a program, only about a third of the staff is aware of and complies with the program.It’s an interesting report, but unfortunately statistics on paper alone may not be enough to change the level of urgency that many companies feel when it comes to improving their records and information systems.
Authored By John ClarkOpens in a new window, President & CEO, NCMECOn October 16 of last year, the FBI concluded the 10th annual Operation Cross Country—a program to defeat child sex trafficking operations and rescue victims. Partnering with local and international law enforcement agencies—and supplied with technical assistance and recovery services support from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children* (NCMEC)—agents arrested 239 alleged perpetrators and rescued 82 sexually exploited children.NCMEC is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation whose mission is to help find missing children, reduce child sexual exploitation, and prevent child victimization. As NCMEC’s CEO, I’m heartened by the success of our partnership with the FBI to help children, and by the attention these ‘big moments’ bring to the important work we do. But these big moments grow out of painstaking, time-consuming day-to-day work that grows in volume every year. That’s why I’m so excited about the collaboration we’ve begun with Intel to use artificial intelligence (AI) to dramatically increase our speed and effectiveness in helping to rescue exploited children. Let me tell you what we’re doing together.NCMEC’s CyberTiplineOpens in a new window provides a vehicle for the public and for electronic service providers to report suspected cases of child sexual exploitation. Each report we receive must be prioritized to try to identify children in imminent danger and passed on to an appropriate law enforcement agency with as much added value as we can provide. Last year, we handled more than 8 million reports, and the number is doubling every year. Because of the exploding volume, it can take up to 30 days for our analysts to process some reports—which is 29 days too long.Tasks often involve searching tens of millions of images to determine whether we have previously seen potential victims or alleged perpetrators, to differentiate new images from those already seen, to match images with network addresses or domain names, and to identify intentionally misleading domain names. If we can help law enforcement to identify the victim in an image, then law enforcement may be able to intervene to rescue the child.Technology is one of our best tools in the fight against child sexual exploitation, and AI can augment the work our analysts do to help us process reports faster and more accurately. Service and social media providers like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Pinterest already use analytics and AI to detect and stop exploitation within their networks. When I became NCMEC CEO after a career in law enforcement and a stint in cyber security, I was pleased to see the extent to which NCMEC—a non-profit with limited resources—was using technology to solve tough problems. But I was convinced we could do even more. Our partnership with Intel offers us a way to keep up with the exploding volume of reports coming through the CyberTipline and improve our effectiveness in handing them, so it’s one of our most important initiatives.Intel engineers are helping us assess the problem, showing us better ways to store and access massive amount of data, and finding ways to apply machine learning and advanced analytics to help our analysts work faster and better. Then they’re working with us to design and develop the solutions we need. It’s a hands-on partnership that brings Intel expertise and technology together with our own technical and subject-matter experts to find innovative ways to help victims of child sex trafficking. We’re still in the initial phases, but results so far promise to reduce the typical 30-day turnaround time to just a day or two. And for a child in a vulnerable situation, those 28 or 29 days can literally be a lifetime.Our collaboration with Intel is proving AI can be applied to solve a growing number of business and societal problems. But as we focus on the technology, we can’t lose sight of the human side of this problem. When we speak of “images,” we’re speaking of children being violently abused, so we need more partnerships and more collaboration with businesses that can help. If you’re a U.S.-based electronic service provider, email us at [email protected] in a new window and provide your contact info, so we can explore how we can work together. And if you’d like to know more about how the AI technology Intel is providing could help your business or institution, you can find more at the Intel Web siteOpens in a new window.And most importantly, to report a suspected case of child sexual exploitation, please visit www.missingkids.org/CybertiplineOpens in a new window, where you can also learn more about NCMEC’s work to protect children and how you can help. You can also call our 24-hour hotline, 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) to make a report. *Third-party marks & brands are the property of their respective owners.
Motorola on Wednesday launched Moto Maxx, global variant of its recently launched Droid Turbo. However, Droid Turbo was made available exclusively in the US via Verizon. With Moto Maxx, the company will try to reach out to the global markets with almost similar specifications.The Moto Maxx is now up for grabs in Brazil via Motorola’s online store at a price tag of BRL 2,199 (roughly Rs 54,000) for the 64GB model. The device will be available in Mexico by mid-November and will reach other Latin American countries soon enough, confirmed Motorola. There is, however, no word regarding the device’s availability and pricing in India.Like Droid Turbo, Moto Maxx also comes with a layer of DuPont Kevlarfibre. The company claims it to be protected inside and out withnano-coating. The Moto Maxx smartphone features a 5.2-inch QHD display with a 1440×2560 pixels resolution and 565ppi density and comes covered with protective Corning Gorilla Glass 3 screen. The device is powered by a 2.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor and Adreno 420 GPU coupled with 3GB of RAM.It sports a 21MP rear autofocus camera with dual-LED flash, and a 2MP front-facing snapper. Connectivity options include: 4G LTE with LTE Cat 4, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Micro-USB, and GSM/ EDGE/ HSPA+. The device runs Android 4.4.4 KitKat out-of-the-box and decks in a 3900mAh battery rated to deliver up to 48 hours of mixed usage, according to Motorola. In addition, it comes with Motorola’s Turbo Charger that the company claims to provide 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging. advertisement
India’s Leander Paes and Purav Raja sailed into the men’s doubles second round in the pair’s first outing at a Grand Slam but Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna crashed out of their respective events in the US Open here.Veteran Paes and Raja thrashed Serbia’s Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki 6-1, 6-3 at the Flushing Meadows.The 10th seeded combine of Bopanna and Uruguay’s Pablo Cuevas, meanwhile, squandered a one-set advantage to go down to the former Australian Open winners Fabio Fognini and Simone Bolelli, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 in an hour and 47 minutes in the men’s doubles second round match. (Garbine Muguruza destroys Magdalena Rybarikova to set up Petra Kvitova clash)Sania and her mixed doubles partner Ivan Dodig of Croatia lost to the Latvian-French pair of Jelena Ostapenko and Fabrice Martin 7-5, 3-6, 6-10.Both are, however, still in the tournament – Bopanna will play the first of his mixed doubles match with Canadian Gabriela Dabrowski and Sania and her Chinese partner Peng Shuai will look to advance to the second round of women’s doubles. (Denis Shapovalov’s US Open star rises with win over Kyle Edmund)Divij Sharan who was paired up with No. 66 Andre Begemann lost 4-6, 4-6 to Spaniards Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez.Paes and Raja’s build-up to the tournament was far from ideal as they succumbed to an opening round defeat at the Winston-Salem Open.However, the Indian duo bounced back in style here, converting 40 percent of their break points while conceding none.Paes and Raja next face the Russian team of Karen Khachanov and Andrey Rublev.advertisement