PITTSBURGH — Bernhard Langer overpowered vulnerable Fox Chapel for the second straight day, shooting a 6-under 64 on Friday to take the lead in the Senior Players Championship. The two-time Masters champion was at 11-under 129 after 36 holes as he searches for his first victory at the Senior Players after five top-10 finishes. Doug Garwood, tied for the first-round lead, and Bill Glasson were two strokes back. Garwood birdied two of the last three holes, and Glasson had a 64. Joe Durant, also tied for the first-round lead, was 8 under along with Michael Allen, John Riegger and Mark McNulty. Defending champion Kenny Perry moved into contention at 7 under with a 63, the low round of the tournament so far. After being allowed to lift, clean and place their golf balls during the opening round following several days of rain, players were forced to play it down everywhere but the 14th hole at the 6,710-yard layout. It did little to affect the deluge of low scores. Through two rounds, nobody was lower than Langer. He opened with a 65 and used a little bit of luck to jump start his round Friday. He attempted to drive the green on the uphill 295-yard par-4 seventh only to watch his ball sail into the left rough. His pitch from 25 yards bounded onto the green and rolled into the cup for an unlikely eagle. The attack kept coming. He added four more birdies – all from inside 12 feet – including tricky left-to-right putt from 8 feet on the par-5 18th that gave Langer a two-shot cushion over Garwood. Langer’s only problem appeared to be the state of his driver. It broke after he teed off on 18. If it can’t be repaired in time, he might have a new driver in his bag for the first time in two years when he gets to the course Saturday. Langer will need it to work if he wants to hold off a pack that includes Glasson and the rapidly rising Garwood. A journeyman who spent most of his prime selling insurance when he wasn’t playing on mini-tours, Garwood is gaining confidence with each passing week on the 50-and-over circuit. He nearly won at the Principal Charity Classic in Iowa last month before falling in a playoff. The 51-year-old joked after the first round he wanted to lower expectations heading into the third major tournament of his Champions career, figuring if they’re low enough he’ll have no trouble surpassing them. Consider it done. He opened with back-to-back birdies before giving both shots right back with consecutive bogeys. Undaunted, he kept firing at the slow, damp greens that have turned the tournament into so much target practice. He ended his round by birdieing the 18th for the second straight day. Garwood was later joined by Glasson at 9 under after Glasson shot one of four 64s on a course that doesn’t look like it will firm up anytime soon. That could turn the weekend into a shootout, which fits Perry just fine. A year ago he began the march to his first major title by shooting a 63 in the second round. He did the same Friday, though he could have gone even lower. He missed a 6-footer for birdie on No. 15 and appeared stunned when his 4-footer on No. 17 slid left of the hole. More than half the 81-player field was at even par or better through two rounds, with 19 players within six shots of the lead.
Email Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox. Authorities say a man is dead and another is in critical condition after a multi-vehicle crash on a highway near Kalispell.Thursday evening’s crash happened when a vehicle headed east on U.S. Highway 2 slowed to turn. Authorities say a speeding pickup truck two cars behind lost control and struck vehicles in both lanes.Trooper Glen Barcus of the Montana Highway Patrol says two men between 20 and 30 years old and an 8-year-old boy were in the truck. The men were not wearing seat belts and were ejected.Flathead County Sheriff identified the driver as 26-year-old Jonathan Wyatt of Kalispell and says he died of blunt-force trauma. Barcus says the adult passenger is in critical condition.The boy and the driver of another vehicle were being treated for minor injuries.Barcus says speed appears to be a cause of the crash, and the highway patrol also is investigating whether drugs were involved after finding paraphernalia.
Tipitina’s is just one of the many independently owned music venues in New Orleans in danger of dimming its lights forever if the current state of the concert and live events industry remains on pause through the end of the year. In an interview with NOLA.com’s Keith Spera, venue co-owner and Galactic bassist Robert Mercurio discussed the possible fate of the fan-favorite uptown venue should the industry-wide shutdown continue into the fall months—and his outlook is as grim as one might expect.“When you realize your businesses are all about getting large groups of people together, close, and you’re told that is not the right or responsible thing to do — that’s a hand-to-forehead moment of, ‘Oh, Lord, what am I going to do?’” Mercurio told NOLA.com ahead of the band’s sold-out NOLA Drive-In Summer Concert Series performance at UNO Lakefront Arena this Friday (July 17th). The outdoor performance will be Galactic’s first public concert since February 24th, which coincidentally took place at Tipitina’s during Mardi Gras.Related: Stanton Moore Talks Galactic’s New Album, Buying Tipitina’s, & “Playing Like You Own The Place” [Interview]“The margins are so thin,” Mercurio said of the venue’s current financial state with no concerts and no legitimate income since mid-March. “We were succeeding, but just barely, over our first year and a half of owning it. Not being able to hold shows, it’s going to become increasingly impossible for us to make ends meet.”The report details that the federal Payroll Protection Program (PPP) has enabled the venue to keep its small collection of full-time staffers on salary for the time being, but the roughly 25 bartenders, security, and production employees have since been let go. “Truthfully, they probably make more on unemployment,” Mercurio added. “PPP has been able to keep us going these last few months, but that’s going to run out soon.”Tipitina’s is not the only live music venue in danger of going out of business due to COVID-19. Last week, a survey conducted by the University of Houston revealed up to 90 percent of venues in Austin, TX could also close forever if they’re not reopened for business by the fall months. Unlike countries including Germany and the U.K., the United States federal government has yet to introduce any economic relief plan to help stimulate America’s live events industry. Many venue owners and industry executives who call New Orleans their home have joined the National Independent Venue Association (NIVA) in hopes of securing more financial aid from a federal level before it’s too late.Related: Bob Weir, Willie Nelson, David Byrne, Hundreds More Artists Sign Letter To Congress Seeking Independent Venue Aid“That is heartbreaking and terrifying,” Mercurio added of the concert landscape in cities across the country. “Galactic plays a lot of those clubs. We like to play the Tipitina’s of every city, like the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C., or First Avenue in Minneapolis. We gravitate toward those venues. To imagine them not being around is crazy to me.”Tipitina’s owners are currently planning a possible virtual, subscription-based performance series where bands would play in the empty venue for an online audience who would contribute what they can via suggested tips. Such an innovative strategy, however, would still not be enough to keep the lights on for the long term.“We had a little bit to make it through, but it’s really going to hit the fan in September/October,” Mercurio continued. “Without any more government assistance, or in lieu of this streaming service going amazingly well, we’re going to be in a tough spot.”Click here to learn how you can donate to the “Help Tipitina’s” fundraising initiative. For a full list of members of NIVA, head here. Independent venues and promoters can also sign up to join the National Independent Venue Association free of charge here.
THE Football Association (FA) has set up a feasibility study to examine the possibility of England bidding to be the host nation for the 2030 World Cup.England, who last hosted the World Cup in 1966 when the Three Lions triumphed on home soil, was in the running to hold the tournament in 2018 but missed out to Russia.In a statement on Wednesday, FA chairman Greg Clarke said the body is considering whether or not it will bid to host the 2030 World Cup, with a decision to be made next year.“Last month the English FA board agreed to conduct feasibility work into the possibility of putting itself forward to be UEFA’s potential candidate to host the 2030 World Cup,” Clarke said.“This work will take place during the new season and no decision will be made until 2019.”Former FA chairman Lord Triesman has suggested England could step in to host the 2022 World Cup if Qatar is stripped of the tournament.Qatar’s hosting of the World Cup has been controversial due to the initial plan to hold the tournament in the Arab state’s summer months, although the schedule has since been changed by FIFA.The human rights record of Qatar has also come under the spotlight, but Clarke denied the FA would offer to host the next World Cup.“FIFA has chosen Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup and they have a duty to investigate any issues around the process that are rightly thrown into question,” added Clarke.“Russia did a brilliant job hosting the 2018 World Cup and we support the rotation of World Cup hosting among the confederations.“That would make the 2030 World Cup the next one a European nation might be able to host, and not before.“Anyone suggesting otherwise is acting disrespectfully to our global game and does not speak for the English FA.” (Sportsmax)
Source: Boxing – thesun.co.uk 10 INCREDIBLE Space Launch Failures! Rebekah Vardy scores an impressive penalty in six-inch heels Travel Diary // Vietnam 2017 DILLIAN WHYTE has been forced into a tear-up with Alexander Povetkin after Andy Ruiz Jr snubbed a seven-figure deal to fight an old friend.With Deontay Wilder and the WBC still refusing to give the Brit banger the mandatory world title shot he earned way back in November 2017, the Brixton ace has been forced to make his own fights.Dillian Whyte has been forced into a tear-up with Alexander PovetkinCredit: Getty ImagesAndy Ruiz Jr has dodged the Body Snatcher in favour of facing Luis OrtizCredit: Alamy Live NewsAlexander Povetkin will likely travel to London to face the Brixton fighter in MayCredit: GettyThe Body Snatcher asked to face the former unified champ, who KO’ed Anthony Joshua last year before being outpointed in the December rematch, but Ruiz Jr has instead opted to face fading veteran and promotional stablemate Luis Ortiz.The Cuban southpaw and Mexican unit have more than the PBC banner and future fight in common.Last year Ortiz was offered around £6m to jump in and face AJ in June, after Jarrell Miller was busted for a scandalous concoction of steroids.The 40-year-old rejected the golden opportunity to instead face another stablemate in Wilder and, despite a strong start, he was demolished with a round-seven right hand.After beating Mariusz Wach on the Joshua vs Ruiz 2 undercard in Saudi Arabia, Londoner Whyte is eager to get back to winning ways on home soil.Now the planned April clash between Oleksandr Usyk and Derek Chisora is postponed, while the Ukraine sensation recovers from an elbow issue, Whyte could secure a home show in its place or in early May. Povetkin, 40, is a former WBA world champion and Olympic gold winner, with only defeats to Wladimir Klitschko and Joshua on his record.The 2013 Klitschko points loss came when both men were close to their prime.And the Russian troubled AJ in the opening round of their September 2018 battle, before he was convincingly stopped in the seventh.Povetkin did look on the wane on AJ’s successful Diriyah show, when American boogeyman Michael Hunter appeared to outpoint him, only for a Russian judge to back his compatriot and force a draw.And his promoter says claimed the pair will rematch if Povetkin does a shock job on Whyte.Andrey Ryabinskiy said: “We don’t really like talking about anything before signing the contract. At the moment, only Whyte is considered as an opponent for the next Povetkin fight.“This does not mean that the second fight with Michael Hunter is no longer interesting to us. Just, at the moment, the Whyte-Povetkin fight is very interesting to boxing fans.“After the fight with Whyte, we can return to considering the second fight with Hunter.“Povetkin in December drew a match with Hunter for the title of mandatory challenger for the WBA, after which both athletes announced their desire to hold a rematch.”The UK trip will be the fourth inside two years for Vladimir Putin’s personal friend after he savaged David Price in March 2018 and trudged through a dull decision over Hughie Fury last August. Football player touch female referee s breast! Real or Fake? Shark Attacks Helicopter Amazing Controlled Building Demolition You Probably Haven’t Seen Before Best caption wins🏆 Credit @4×4 REAL vs FAKE GOLD