Jamie Murray will become Britain’s first world number one professional tennis player since computerised rankings were introduced in the 1970s after the ATP World Tour confirmed on Sunday he will take top spot in doubles from Marcelo Melo.The 30-year-old, whose brother Andy is ranked world number two in singles, will take top spot from the Brazilian when the new rankings are published on April 4.Britain’s Lawn Tennis Association hailed Murray on Twitter as a history maker.Murray won the Australian Open doubles title in January alongside Brazilian Bruno Soares.Melo’s failure to reach the doubles quarter-finals in the Miami Open on Sunday means he will drop points and fall behind Murray in the rankings, despite the Briton’s earlier elimination.“He really deserves it,” the BBC quoted Melo as saying. “He made the final in Wimbledon, final US Open, won the Davis Cup, won the Australian Open, so he deserves it a lot. I’m happy for him.”Murray posted a picture on his Instagram account of himself sitting on a beach with the number one written in the sand.“Last night I went to bed wondering if that was the closest I would ever get,” he said. “Today driving in my car my phone started to go crazy.”Britain’s Virginia Wade was also world number one in women’s doubles in 1973, before computer rankings were introduced.
0Shares0000Tiger Woods has won 14 majors © Getty/AFP/File / Rob CarrNew York, United States, Sep 7 – Tiger Woods said Wednesday he hopes to return to competitive golf next month at a tournament in California, but the 14-time major champion warned his much-anticipated return would depend on his continued recovery.“My rehabilitation is to the point where I’m comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do,” the 40-year-old Woods, who has not played competitively since August 2015, said in a statement. “Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go,” said Woods, who has been recuperating from back surgery since his last tournament.The golf superstar said he is hoping to return to competition on October 13-16 at the Safeway Open in Napa, California. That event is the first of the 2016-17 PGA Tour season.He then hopes to travel to Antalya for the Turkish Airlines Open in November and the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas in December that benefits the Tiger Woods Foundation.“Hoping to play in Napa, Turkey, and Hero in the Bahamas. Can’t wait to compete again,” Woods tweeted.He also plans to take part in his foundation’s Tiger Woods Invitational on October 10-11 in California before his tour return.Woods hasn’t competed since finishing equal 10th at the 2015 Wyndham Championship.He had back surgery last September and a follow-up procedure to ease discomfort from a pinched nerve.Videos of Woods swinging a club earlier this year prompted various spates of speculation that he was on the brink of a comeback.But he eventually missed the entire season, skipping all four major championships for the first time in his career.“It could be a fun Fall,” Woods said. “It was difficult missing tournaments that are important to me, but this time I was smart about my recovery and didn’t rush it.“It was great spending time with my children Sam and Charlie, and also working on a lot of projects including golf-course design, the upcoming 20th anniversary of my foundation and my book about the 1997 Masters. But I missed competing.”News of Woods’ looming return delighted his fellow professionals, with world number three Rory McIlroy saying the sport had missed its former star.“He brings an aura and an atmosphere that no-one else in golf can bring,” McIlroy told reporters ahead of this week’s BMW Championship. “I’ve missed that.”“I think everyone’s delighted to have him back. Hopefully he can get out on the course and stay healthy for a prolonged period of time.”Woods has not won a major since the 2008 US Open after battling a number of knee, leg and back injuries. At times he was unable to even hit the ball.– Ryder Cup watching brief –He has won 79 US PGA events, three shy of Sam Snead’s all-time record, and his major total is four shy of the all-time record 18 won by Jack Nicklaus.His last title came at the 2013 World Golf Championships Bridgestone Invitational.Tiger Woods holds the Gary Player Cup trophy after the Final Round of the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club South Course on August 4, 2013 © Getty/AFP/File / Sam GreenwoodThe player who has spent a total of 683 weeks atop the world rankings during his career is now not even in the top 500.Although Woods will have no playing role in the upcoming Ryder Cup, which will take place at Hazeltine in Minnesota from September 30 to October 2, he has been drafted by US captain Davis Love to serve as a vice captain in the biennial match-play showdown with Europe.Love said last week that he expects Woods to provide inspiration for the US team — and a focal point for fans still fascinated by the superstar.“I can’t imagine what it is going to be like to have Tiger Woods on a golf cart watching a group of guys play golf,” Love said during a Ryder Cup “Town Hall” on SiriusXM radio.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000FIFA on Friday announced a record $369 million loss for 2016 © AFP/File / FABRICE COFFRINIZURICH, Switzerland, Apr 7 – FIFA on Friday announced a Sh38.1 billion ($369 million) loss for 2016, a second straight annual deficit, as it recovers from bribery scandals and acknowledged it had spent a huge chunk of its reserves in the past year.The game’s world governing body blamed the cost of investigating the scandals, bad investments and accounting changes. But there is worse to come for the organisation, which is rebuilding after its near collapse at the end of the tainted Sepp Blatter era. It expects to lose $489 million, before tax, in 2017 before a World Cup revenue bonanza in 2018 rescues the accounts.FIFA’s losses for 2015-2017 are set to hit $910 million (855 million euros) even though it revised its 2015 deficit down from $122 million to $52 million.Revenues fell to $502 million in 2016 from $544 million in 2015.FIFA said its reserves had fallen from $1.4 billion in 2015 to $1.04 billion in 2016 and they are expected to crash to $605 million this year.FIFA is banking on making $1.1 billion in profits in 2018 when the World Cup is held in Russia, which would give a surplus of about $100 million for the organisation’s four-year accounting cycle.The organisation said the bumper profits, mainly from television deals, would help bring its reserves back to $1.7 billion in 2018.Since a police raid on a FIFA congress hotel in May 2015 when seven football officials were arrested, Blatter and his two top deputies, secretary general Jerome Valcke and finance officer Markus Kattner, have been suspended or fired.The three awarded themselves huge bonuses and pay rises during their final years in power and all face criminal investigation.New FIFA president Gianni Infantino took over promising reform but also higher payments to the 200-plus national federations that are now costing FIFA dearly.Hailing his moves toward greater transparency, Infantino said: “The gravity of the crisis that assailed FIFA in recent years called for equally radical measures. Our response was to express our unshakeable commitment to drawing a line under the events that had so tarnished the image and reputation of the organisation.”Infantino’s annual salary was stated in the accounts at $1.5 million, less than half that of Blatter.FIFA said the main cause of the 2016 loss was new accounting rules. Before they booked profits when contracts were signed, now they can only be counted when the contract, such as the World Cup, is completed.Accounting experts said, however, this change would only account for about $35 million of the 2016 loss.FIFA also spent $50 million on investigating the lingering scandals.– Museum loss –US authorities have charged about 40 individuals and companies over more than $200 million in bribes paid for television and other commercial deals. Many of the defendants, who are to go on trial in New York in November, are former FIFA executive members.But the organisation also admitted that it lost $50 million on the FIFA museum that was a pet Blatter project.FIFA spent 140 million Swiss francs (130 million euros/$138 million) on the three-floor museum in Zurich which has become a huge white elephant.Since opening last year, it has attracted an average of 11,000 visitors a month, barely half the target.The organisation also suffered a multi-million dollar loss on its investment in the Ascot Hotel in Zurich which is near the museum.Amid the scandal fallout, Infantino has had to find ways to fund his promise to triple payments to national federations from $1.6 million every four years to up to $5 million.Despite the red ink headlines, FIFA’s leadership says the organisation is not in trouble.The organisation predicts revenue of $5.65 billion for the four-year cycle ending with the 2018 World Cup. It said there are contracts for 76 percent of this figure.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
BUSINESS NAME: Design Rite BUSINESS ADDRESS: 9601 Owensmouth Ave., Suite 18, Chatsworth, CA 91311 PHONE: (818) 734-2704, cell (818) 590-4010 E-MAIL: email@example.com WHY DID YOU START THIS BUSINESS? I have more than 40 years experience. I thought I could do the job better and charge less money than the people I worked for. WHERE DID YOU GET THE IDEA? I had been thinking about my own company for years. I started a business plan about three years ago. HOW LONG WAS IT FROM CONCEPT TO OPENING? Three months. WHAT DID YOU DO DURING THAT TIME? Set up displays, collected samples and visited our suppliers. WHAT WERE YOUR STARTUP COSTS AND HOW DID YOU FINANCE THE BUSINESS? About $30,000 from savings and a Small Business Administration loan. WHO DID YOU RELY ON FOR ADVICE? People in the industry. WHAT HADN’T YOU CONSIDERED BEFORE OPENING? The hard work – but I enjoy it! WHAT IS YOUR EXPECTED REVENUE THIS YEAR? More than $200,000. WHAT GOALS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE COMPANY? To keep my volume going up, my prices low and my service the top of the line.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! OWNER: Phyllis and Ed Halpern ESTABLISHED: 2007 NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES: Two DESCRIBE YOUR BUSINESS: We’re a full-service discount window covering company. We design, measure and install window coverings of all types in private homes and commercial buildings. IS THIS YOUR FIRST BUSINESS? Yes
Northwest Auto Factors, Pearse Road, Letterkenny, require an experienced counterman.The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years experience of a similar position.That experience will be in the area of computer parts searching and ordering and cross-referencing. Also required is a clean driver’s license and a good personality is essential.Please email your cv to firstname.lastname@example.orgVacancy: Northwest Auto factors Ltd require experienced counterman was last modified: April 20th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:countermanletterkennyNorthwest Auto FactorsVacancy
The first three-legged calf in “living memory” has been born in Raphoe, in County Donegal.The shorthorn cross, known as Paul, was born on the farm of the Vance family in MomeenIt weighed over 50 kg at birth and is healthy. “It is the first time we’ve ever had a three-legged animal born in these parts,” Kenneth Vance said. “It is not that unusual to hear of abnormalities but this is different.“Apart from the fact the calf has three legs it is healthy enough and is feeding all right.“We’re going to give it a chance anyway of surviving.”He said his children had nicknamed the calf “Paul” after an alien in a recent comedy film. “We’ll probably keep him as a pet for the kids,” he said.Gerard Roarty, Principal Veterinary Surgeon at the Donegal Animal Hospital based in Letterkenny, said: “This would be at least one in a ten thousand event,” he said.FIRST 3-LEGGED CALF ‘IN A GENERATION’ BORN IN RAPHOE was last modified: April 1st, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Jermain Defoe should be on the radar of the Premier League’s leading clubs, according to Dean Ashton.The striker can leave Sunderland on a free transfer in the summer if they are relegated from the top-flight – a prospect that looks inevitable.Defoe has been in sparking form for the Black Cats over the past two seasons and netted for England on Sunday in his first international appearance in over three years.West Ham and Bournemouth are being linked with the 34-year-old but, according to Ashton, clubs higher up the league should also be targeting the prolific hitman.“I can see him at any club and I mean any club,” said the ex-England international, speaking to Jim White on talkSPORT.“He is the best finisher I have ever seen live, without a shadow of a doubt.“To have somebody of his finishing ability in your team, it is a must. He is that good. His finishing is so good.“He has quickness of thought and is able to move his body quickly enough to take advantage of things in the box.“He can, in one movement without taking another step, control and shoot at the same time.“For such a slight bloke, the power in his shots is incredible. No back lift and BANG!“If I’m one of the top six sides, I would have Defoe in my squad. He could do it for any team.”
THE DONEGAL Athletics Board met last night and selected the various athletes of the year – and it was a clean sweep for Finn Valley AC.For the first time ever the male and female athletes at senior, junior and masters level have been chosen from the one club.The meeting, held in Donegal town, saw Brendan Boyce named as the senior male athlete of the year after his superb sixth place finish at the 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships in Doha. Sommer Lecky has been chosen as the senior female athlete of the year while Lecky – who finished fifth at the European U20 Championships this summer – has also won the junior female award.The awards ceremony is due to be held in January.Donegal athlete of the year –Senior Male – Brendan Boyce Senior Female Sommer Lecky Junior Male – James Kelly Advertisement Junior Female – Sommer Lecky Masters Male – Mark Connolly Masters Female – Noreen Bonner Clean sweep for Finn Valley AC in Donegal Athlete of the Year winners was last modified: October 15th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Brendan BoyceFinn Valley ACjames kellyMark ConnollyNoreen BonnerSommer Lecky
Andy Murray insists Novak Djokovic’s shock defeat at Wimbledon does not pile additional pressure on him to win the title.The world number one lost in four sets to American Sam Querrey on Saturday to end the Serbian’s winning streak at Grand Slams at 30 matches.Murray is now the favourite to win the championships, but he doesn’t believe that status will have much of a bearing on him.Murray said: “It doesn’t (make any difference) because, if I was to reach the final, then it may have some bearing, but it doesn’t right now. The drama was playing out on Court One while Murray was doing battle with Millman but he could not escape it because there was a huge cheer when the scoreboard showed the result.That came with Murray about to serve for the second set at 5-4 and he promptly lost the next three points before dropping serve.The 29-year-old insisted there was no correlation, saying: “Obviously if you see a result or hear the fans, then you think about it. That’s natural. That’s what everyone does.“You don’t just not see what’s going on. But it wasn’t something that was going through my mind for more than 10, 15 seconds while I was sitting at a change of ends. Then you get on with it.” “My draw’s still exactly the same. The matches, in the next round especially, are tough. Nick and Feli are both very, very good grass-court players.“The bookies don’t always get it right. They made a few mistakes over the last few weeks across a number of different things.“Your job is to go out there and try to win the matches that are there in front of you. That’s what I’ll try and do.”A third successive grand slam final between Murray and Djokovic had looked very likely before the start of the tournament, with Roger Federer’s fitness still uncertain and Rafael Nadal absent through injury.